This article is authored by Renée Rapetti. Opinions expressed may not be that of SMARTER Team Training, STT sponsors or constituents. Renée is a National-Level NPC Figure Competitor, Certified Personal Trainer and Nutrition Consultant. She designs and implements programs especially designed for women, whether they are walking down the aisle or stepping on a competitive stage.
Did you know that water makes up approximately 60 to 70 percent of the human body by weight? Staying hydrated is key to keep our bodies running smoothly. As it is important for healthy skin, hair, and nails, as well as controlling body temperature, heart rate, and blood pressure. Incorporate these simple tips into your daily routine and you’ll be sure to stay hydrated!
• Water is the perfect wake up call for your body, so have a tall cold glass right when you get up in the morning!
• Always be prepared. Carry a reusable bottle with you during work hours and when you are away from home for long periods of time. It is the easiest way to stay hydrated without even thinking about it.
• Try to drink something before, during and after exercising, especially in hot weather. Drink water every 15 minutes as you exercise.
• Remember to drink BEFORE you get thirsty.
• Make smarter choices when consuming beverages. Try to limit caffeinated and sugary choices. Caffeine acts as a diuretic and can cause you to lose fluids quickly. In addition to having extra calories, the fructose, or natural sugars, in fruit juice can slow your body’s ability to absorb fluids. Sparkling water is always a great alternative.
• Eat your water! You can monitor your fluid intake, factoring in foods. Most of what we eat contains some water, especially fruits and vegetables. Packing ready-to-eat fruits in sealable plastic bags can be a great way to restore fluids and vitamins during outdoor activities!
• Be creative and flavor your water with lemons, limes, cucumbers, or strawberries. The combinations are endless!
• Be aware and learn the signs and symptoms of dehydration. Always listen to your body!
Through her education and career in marketing, Renée has been passionate about helping others achieve their dreams through positive influence, guidance and motivation. Her goal and mission is to continually help others, especially women, achieve their best in fitness, health and life. You can contact her at [email protected].